In the last couple weeks, two smart and awesome ladies (Taryn Hipp and Sarah Kramer) both talked about having a life to-do list of projects or things you want to accomplish. Sure, I've had an infrequently updated 43things account for years, but some of the things on there are less concrete, and not really about actual tangible things I want to do.
Things have been go-go-go since coming back from Europe at the start of September. It is finally catching up to me. I am feeling tired and burnt out these days. This sucks, because there are a lot of good things going on, and I'm not sure I'm enjoying them as much as I could be.
On the bright side, it's four more weeks until I get two glorious weeks off! During this time, I plan to retreat to the frigid flatlands for a while, to sit by the fire with the dog curled up next to me, and read and work on Drupal Docs. Ahhh, bliss.
Before we get started, here's some new LCD Soundsystem for your listening enjoyment... (Awesome, SteveK, your tip about just shrinking the height on the YouTube player works!!!)
I can see it all on the horizon. Or, I think I can... Maybe it is just the light in the distance playing tricks with my eyes. No. There is something there. Leave the fear behind. All I can do is take steps toward it each day. And be where I am.
For a myriad of reasons, last week generally sucked. I think I'm getting better at shaking it off though, so that's something. But it wasn't all bad. Time for a list of all that is good. Focus, focus, focus on that, and I will keep on the right track.
I waffled back and forth on whether to even make intentions for this coming year (and then whether to publish them anywhere). I had been practicing existing without having a plan, and just seeing where life takes me. Thing is, having ended up in a place I didn't expect, I never really thought about where my current self could go. It's all fine and good seeing where things go, but I don't like just letting life happen to me, I want to make the life I want a reality. And so, it becomes time to think about what that means. It's fine if these intentions aren't fulfilled, there is no failure, there is only learning and doing better next time.
1. Cease to act based on fear. Go on the offensive in all aspects of life.
2. Remember how to hope, how to be ambitious. (And know that it doesn't jinx me, creating expectations that can't be met.)
3. Be truly kind and compassionate to myself.
4. Cultivate and maintain inner peace. Don't sweat the small stuff.
5. Set some longer term intentions related to career.
6. Find a place to live where I really feel like home. (And not let this hinge on another person's involvement.)
7. Stop rushing. "Take it easy. Enjoy your life."
8. Be a leader. Be a mentor. Keep learning. Be awesome.
9. Spend more casual, spontaneous, unstructured time with loved ones. (We are all too busy.)
10. Remember how to let myself fall in love, and be loved in return.
While we're here
let's see what happens,
what we got, got, got to lose?
While the tidal
and flexed on a full moon,
it'd be a sure, sure shame to not to.
Do it for England.
Do it for love.
Do it for us.
Do it for goodness sake.
Do it for all the time we wished we had.
Do what you want,
just how you like,
nobody has to know.
- Imogene Heap "Tidal"